Equity Analysis (EA) comes in all shapes and sizes, and there are many resources available to help the analysts along their way. The CTPP program is one resource that can help. As part of its mission, the CTPP Oversight Board has established an active committee of data users who are involved in “doing” Equity Analysis. The group wants to contribute to the greater discussion of better equity analysis across the board for transportation planning and project issues. These efforts do not take the place of any current/future project analysis for environmental documentation, rather it provides resources in analysis that contribute to the greater discussion. Given their hands-on experience, this group is developing this webpage to help other users conduct their analyses.
Transportation agencies that manage federally funded programs and projects are responsible for ensuring that their plans, programs, policies, services, and investments benefit everyone in their jurisdictions equitably. Historically, certain individuals and communities, including those from minority, low-income, and limited English proficiency (LEP) populations, have not benefited equitably from transportation investments and programs. Understanding the impacts of transportation investments on these individuals and communities and taking steps to address inequities are critical functions of transportation agencies (source: Equity Analysis in Regional Transportation Planning Processes, Volume 1: Guide (2020)). Below are some additional relevant resources.
- FHWA Planning Office Environmental Justice website
- FHWA Environmental Justice and Title VI Publications.
- EA Overview pulled from Public Roads (2016)
- Information on Health-related Equity from USDOT
- EJ Analysis in Transportation Planning and Programming: State of Practice
- Addressing Changing Demographics in EJ Analysis, State of Practice
CTPP Resources Related to EA
- CTPP status reports contain various articles that may relevant to equity analysis (EA)
- The CTPP program selected CTPP data tables that might be particularly relevant to equity analysis (EA).
- CTPP program maintains a CTPP research article archive, some of which might be related to your EA projects.
- E-Learning Module for EA (Coming Soon!)